Cumberland Supply started in 1947 when contractors Mr. J.E. Allen and Mr. Carl B. Hudson partnered to open a business on Old Gordonsville Road in Smith County to sell building supplies to other contractors and, eventually, the public. After a few years, Mr. Allen sold his interest in the business to Mr. Hudson, who changed the name to Cumberland Supply Company.
Mr. Hudson lived in Cookeville and drove to Cumberland Supply six days a week until he built a home on Gordonsville Road and relocated to Smith County. As his children, Phillip B. Hudson and Patsy Hudson, grew up they became his assistants and eventually partners. After his passing in early 1983, Patsy sold her interest in the company to Phillip. Phillip incorporated the business in July of 1983.
Both of Phillip’s sons, Carl L. Hudson and Phillip B. Hudson, Jr. were interested in working with the business. After they completed college with business degrees, they came back to Cumberland Supply as stockholders in the company.
In 2020, grandson of the original founder, Phillip B. Hudson, Jr., acquired 100% interest in Cumberland Supply Company, INC. Phillip looks forward to continuing his family’s legacy by being one of the best building supply and hardware stores in the state of Tennessee.